Quite literally, hundreds of articles every year use the term "engagement" with little to no effort in defining it. Several current research efforts directed at cognition in learning environments suggest there are at least three separate factors at play:
1. Emotional Engagement – How the learner feels about the learning experience.
2. Intellectual Engagement – What the learner thinks about the information presented in the learning experience.
3. Environmental Engagement – How the learner’s interaction with the learning environment change both the environment and learner’s perception of the experience.
Perhaps most importantly, each one of these factors is necessary but insufficient on their own to produce an engaged learner AND failure of any one of these factors can result in disengagement. Virtual classroom facilitators have a great deal of control over these factors for learners. However, it takes more than clever exercises or mastery of collaboration tools like breakout rooms and whiteboards, to succeed. It takes a nuanced understanding of the learning environment and the learners participating in that environment to bring your virtual delivery to the next level.
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
• facilitate emotional engagement, including creating intellectual safety through listening
• generate environmental engagement while supporting a diverse audience
• encourage intellectual engagement through debrief exercises and the 'spacing effect'
Start the journey that takes your virtual facilitation skills to the next level with these practical applications of research into how people learn.
Dates Available: April 8, 2019 12:00 PM – September 5, 2019 12:59 PM
Registration fees will be refunded only if requests for cancellation/refunds are received in writing at least two weeks prior to the conference or educational offering. A 20% processing fee will be assessed. No refunds will be made within 14 days of an offering. However, substitutes may be made for another delegate to attend activities offered by the Association in lieu of the original applicant.
Register You are not signed in, so non-member pricing is being displayed. After logging-in, member pricing will be used if applicable.